Why We Are So Passionate About Helping You Through Our Pilates Classes
Passionate About Helping You Through Pilates
We started our Pilates company due to my own back injury.
Prolapsed disc and dormant muscles gave me a 6-month period of pure hell.
Constant pain, I couldn’t exercise, sleep, do my day job as a Fitness Class Instructor and Personal Trainer and I felt very fed up!
I went down the traditional road of medical intervention only to be told by my consultant that I’d probably have to have surgery and wouldn’t be able to run or exercise like I had before.
So, I decided there must be another way, something I could do, I wasn’t being written off at such a young age and I was going to try to rehabilitate myself through Pilates!
Andy decided he was going to help me further by training to become a Sports Massage therapist. Which meant several months of training in other courses to get to the one he wanted to learn.
Through my personal journey on the road to recovery I can now run and exercise like I did before (this included running a marathon – just to prove a point!) not something I would recommend!
We decided we didn’t want others to experience a similar fate to me and suffer from back injuries and other issues and that we could help them by strengthening their core, reduce their aches and pains, move more freely and easily and have a better quality of life.
This was the start of our business!!
But the process did not run smoothly!
We started teaching in community centres and churches and hired a room at a Chiropractor clinic. This was great to start but after starting business coaching, we decided we wanted more control and more space, the solution was we needed our own studio and treatment room.
This didn’t come easy!
We had no money, had only just got onto property ladder again a few months before after divorces, but we set our sights on a commercial property.
Long story cut short, we sold our house (made a reasonable profit after only 18months), cashed in all Andy’s pension (as a deposit) and got a bank loan (after 2 failed attempts) to own our very own studio (which needed a major refurbishment) and an apartment (our new home).
We spent months refurbing the place seven days a week, to then open several months later.
Over the years we built the business and our thriving community.
Starting out as a team of 3! Myself, Andy and Eleanor, to now having a dream team consisting of the above plus the great additions of Elaine, Sarah Lou and until recently Maria.
Our team also includes our business coach Craig, our accountant Bev and many more great people that have helped and supported us throughout our journey.
We’ve helped hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people to reduce their aches and pains and move more freely and easily, recover from back problems, injuries and surgery, improve their posture and core strength and much more.
New Healthy Body is not just a business to us, it’s about building a supportive community where we can help people move and feel better both physically and mentally.
New Healthy Body is about improving people’s lives, building friendships and being part of something much bigger!
Covid then came along and overnight (like many other businesses) we were forced to close.
This was another challenging time as we knew more than ever our community (our members) needed us and we also had to work hard as a business to survive!
We hadn’t come this far to give up!
So, what did we do?
- Overnight we went from holding Pilates classes at our studio to delivering them Live online through Zoom.
This meant sourcing the correct equipment, learning how to use Zoom to teaching our members how to use Zoom too.
- We gave all members unlimited access to our online Pilates classes so they could attend as often as they liked. To keep them active throughout Lockdown and also to give them a purpose to get up and some sort of routine.
- We held weekly online coffee mornings and quizzes to give everyone the chance to socialise with others.
- Held a fortnightly online wine evening
- Created loads of video content to share in our Facebook group and our website, so not only our members but our Facebook community could also benefit from learning Pilates exercises and other tips that would help to keep them active and reduce their aches and pains
- Introduced a 21-day Pilates programme as an introductory taster for people to sample the benefits that Pilates offers
- Introduced a Yoga Nidra (meditation) class to help people struggling with stress and anxiety
- Held a Christmas quiz/party.
We did all this to support our community through an extremely difficult period